Developing an Alkaline Diet
The first step in establishing a health-promoting alkaline diet is to assess your current first morning urine pH. This is a good measure of your average body pH and is easily obtained by following these simple steps:
1. Obtain a packet of pH hydrion test paper. This test tape measures acid-alkaline states and should be marked into one-half point divisions ranging at least from 5.5 to 8.0. Should you not be able to obtain this tape locally, please call ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies LLC at (800) 553-5472 for information.
2. First thing in the morning, just before urinating, open the test tape and cut off two to three inches of the paper tape. Next, wet the tape with urine (either by urinating directly on the tape or by collecting the urine in a cup and dipping the tape into the urine).
3. As the tape is moistened with urine, it will take on a color. The color relates to the acid or alkaline state of your urine and ranges from yellow to dark blue. Match the color of your test strip with the color chart on the back of the test tape packet.
4. Jot down the number that corresponds to the color your tape has taken on. Any number below 7 means that your urine is on the acid side. The lower the number, the more acidic the condition. For example, a number of 4.5 indicates considerable acidity, while 6.0 indicates much less. A number of 7 indicates the neutral state, not acid or alkaline. As the body functions best in an alkaline state for health promotion, we would try to avoid highly acidic metabolic states. Ideally, our first morning urine pH should be 6.5 to 7.5, with an occasional, but not constant every day 7.5 reading.
5. If your reading is below 6.5, then you are advised to begin changes aimed at alkalinizing your diet. Below are listed simple dietary modifications that will help alkalize your diet. In the beginning, because of the acid-forming tendency of the standard American diet, most of you will find low pH readings. On the other hand, there will be an occasional person where the initial pH readings are always highly alkaline (greater than 7.5), which is due to catabolism (the process of tearing us down). In this process, nitrogen (in the form of ammonia and alkaline amino acids such as lysine, arginine, glutamine, and asparagine) is lost and the urine becomes excessively alkaline. If constant 7.5 to 8.0 readings should occur in your case, you would do well to consult your health professional about how
to stimulate the repair (anabolic) state thus reversing the catabolic cycle.
Simple Steps to Alkalinize Your Diet
Remember, your body is in essence one very complicated chemical processing plant with 60 trillion cells involved in some 6 trillion chemical reactions each second. While the chemical processes can occur amid an acid environment, such is not ideal. An alkaline internal state is required for ideal chemical functioning and for the achievement of optimal health.
If your pH readings are regularly below 6.5, you would do well to alkalinize your diet by making the following dietary changes:
1. Take a few minutes and study the chart entitled, "Food and Chemical Effects of Acid/Alkaline Body Chemical Balance" On the left side of the page, the foods and substances that are alkalizing to the body are listed. To the furthest left, are the most alkaline substances like sea salt, sea vegetables, sweet potato/yam, lentils, and fruits like lime and watermelon. Toward the middle of the sheet on the same left side are the lower alkaline substances like ginger tea, oats, brussels sprouts and oranges. The acid-forming foods are listed on the right hand side of the page. The highest acid-forming foods, including jams, ice cream, walnuts, and beef, are listed to the far right. The lesser acid-forming foods are to the center of the page and include honey, fish, brown rice, kidney beans, and figs. This easy-to-use chart clearly details which foods make the body more alkaline and which make it more acidic.
2. As you are studying the chart mentioned above, note that most of the common standard American favorite foods and drinks are acid-forming--meats, sugar, coffee, tea, cheese and all dairy, except clarified butter. Wheat is acid-forming as are most grains. No wonder most Americans are in an acid body chemical state. We eat mostly acid-forming foods! Most fruits and vegetables are alkaline forming and so are grains like oats, quinoa, and wild rice as well as most spices and seeds.
3. If you regularly have a first morning urine pH lower than 6.5 and are attempting to regain health, a good goal would be to strive for a diet of predominately alkaline-forming foods. For those recovering from disease, ideally the diet should be 80 acid diet is generally fine. To simplify matters, let your first morning urine pH be your guide. If you are below 6.5, increase the alkaline foods. If you are 6.5 to 7, you are in a health-promoting acid/alkaline balance.
4. If you are in an acid state, the first step is to eat more vegetables and fruits. Strive for two cups of alkalinizing vegetables at both lunch and dinner. Consider a breakfast of alkaline fruits and oatmeal. Limiting flesh foods will also go a long way toward reducing acidity. In addition, the following simple changes are especially helpful for quickly alkalinizing the body:
- (a) Drink the juice of one half a lime or lemon in water a few times during the day.
- (b) Add yams and sweet potatoes as well as lentils to your diet on a regular basis. All these foods help to alkalinize the body quickly.
- (c) Make it a point to eat at least two cups of alkalinizing greens (kale, mustard, turnip, collard, endive) daily.
- (d) Learn how to prepare seaweeds in soups and other dishes and consume daily.
- (e) Favor the alkalinizing grains like oats, quinoa, and wild rice.
- (f) Enjoy liberal amounts of fruits. When possible, eat plenty of watermelon and its juice along with other melons and fruits and berries. If you suffer from gas, bloating, or weak digestion, favor cooked fruit and small amounts of fresh juices.
- (g) Certain supplements like buffered vitamin C and magnesium also alkalinize and should be used in optimum doses as recommended in your ELISA/ACT® LRA program.
5. Be patient and persistent. Remember, your pH indicates your reserve of alkaline minerals. It can take time to build up these reserves. Do not be discouraged with a slow movement toward the ideal alkaline state (pH 6.5 to 7.5). It may have taken years to decades to get where you are; a few months to sustained repair and renewal are worth the effort and attention.
This Week's Special Offers
|Energy Revitalization System (Citrus)||Adrenal Stress End|
|Helps manage stress and stress-related fatigue|
|Your Price $27.95||Your Price $14.95|
|44% Off MSRP ($49.95)||40% Off MSRP ($24.95)|